Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Review: So Into You by Cecilia Gray


So Into You (The Jane Austen Academy Series, #2)
Title: So Into You
Author: Cecilia Gray
Publisher: Gray Life, LLC
Series: The Jane Austen Academy Series #2
Link: Goodreads
Sweet and sensible Ellie hasn't met a problem her mom's yoga mantras can't fix. But when Ellie's parents threaten to pull her from the Academy just as her flirtation with the cutest boy in school heats up, will Ellie be able to keep her cool?The last thing that the girls at the elite Jane Austen Academy need is guys. But over the summer the school has been sold, and like it or not, the guys are coming. And they're about to turn the Academy—and the lives of its students—totally upside down...

Dive into the fabulous, fun lives of six Academy girls as their friendships are tested, torn and ultimately triumph.

My Review

I got a free copy of this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

3/5 stars!
What I loved: I loved all the friendships! Girl power! I think some novels focus too much on the romance and forfeit showing the reader how powerful friendships can be. 

I really enjoyed Fall For You by Cecilia Gray, and I decided to keep up with the Jane Austen Academy Series, but I don't think this book was as great as it's predecessor. 

In So Into You, Ellie finds out early on that she has to leave her beloved Jane Austen Academy because her parents spontaneously decided to move their family out to another country. Ellie and her friends try to come up with ways to get Ellie to keep attending the Academy, but it's up to Ellie to decide if she really wants to stay or go off with her parents.

Though I loved So Into You, I had two major issues with this book.

1. As the series progresses, the characters seem to be having major personality make-overs.

Let me explain:

-In Fall For You, Lizzie was a headstrong journalist with spunk. In So Into You, she loses some of that spunk that made me love her, and seems unsure of everything she wants to accomplish. 

- In the first book, I thought Emma was funny and charismatic, but in order to resemble Marianne Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility, her character became extremely annoying. Plus I remember Emma saying that she thought Edward was nothing but heartbreak at the end of the first book. So why was she so intent on getting Ellie and Edward together in this book? I understand she wanted her friend to stay, but if I knew a guy meant nothing but heartbreak, I would most certainly not fix him up with any of my friends. 

-Dante.....What happened to being Mr. Darcy?

2. I don't think Ellie was a good representative of Elinor Dashwood. Yes, Ellie was intelligent and had a good head on her shoulders, but something just didn't add up for me. I think it was all the mention of yoga.

While we're on the subject of Ellie, I also didn't like the way Edward treated her AND Lucy in this book. If you've read Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility, you know exactly what I'm talking about. 

No, Edward. I don't forgive you. What you did was wrong. You're lucky you're so charming, and Ellie is so forgiving. If it were me, I would've never talked to you again.

Beyond that, I thought the story wrapped up pretty nicely. I would've liked to see more Lizzie and Ellie interaction and less of Emma, but I knew Emma had to be there to fulfill her Marianne Dashwood role. Maybe some more meaningful Lizzie and Dante interaction? I'm sure they do other things besides kissing.... A little more of Anne would've also been greatly appreciated. I can't wait to read her story!!! :D

Overall, So Into You didn't quite capture me as Fall For You (most sequels don't), but I would be lying if I said it wasn't fun to read. It was definitely cute! :) I'm excited to read the next installment of the series. 

I expect great things just from reading the next book's description! :D 

2 comments:

I love receiving your comments! I will always read them, promise! :D I want to hear what you think.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...