Friday, March 14, 2014

Review: The Miranda Contract by Ben Langdon

The Miranda ContractTitle: The Miranda Contract
Author: Ben Langdon
Publisher: Kalamity Press
Link: Goodreads

THE MIRANDA CONTRACT

Supervillain. Pop Star.Sometimes the life we're given isn't the life we'd choose for ourselves.
For the past five years, Dan Galkin has been lying to everyone about just how ordinary he is. But Dan's the grandson of The Mad Russian: one of the world's most powerful, and insane, supervillains. And Dan has powers too. He's a living battery, able to absorb and discharge electricity with his mind. Normally he keeps his powers hidden, but when the old man returns with an offer to make his grandson heir apparent, any chance at an ordinary life is blown apart.
Miranda Brody thought she wanted to be a pop star, but now she's got the international profile and the entourage, she doesn't recognize the Miranda she has become. After getting caught up in the cross-fire between Dan and his grandfather, Miranda realizes there's more to life than being famous. Staying alive, for example, becomes a high priority. And not falling in love with the pizza boy comes a close second. Labeled by society, trapped by expectation. Dan and Miranda might actually be able to change everything. As long as they don't kill each other first.

My Review
Rating: 3.5/5 stars
I got a copy of this book for an honest review

Although the concept of "gods" makes me cringe a little, I actually really enjoyed this book. Dan Galkin tries to runaway from his destiny of being a supervillian, a destiny being forced on him by his grandfather. I loved Dan's sarcasm. In my opinion, there's no better way to deal when you're surrounded by people that hate you. Sarcasm is always the way to go.

The love interest, Miranda, is quite spunky. In the beginning, I thought she was going to be one of those weak female characters that are often found in science fiction novels, but was pleasant surprised that she was the opposite.

My favorite character was Bree. She was not one of the primary characters, but I liked her a lot. I adored her laid-back attitude about everything.

Halo was a character I just couldn't understand. At first I hated him, then I fell in love with him, and then I was just plain confused. He's very deceptive, sneaky...yet helpful

The author's writing style was easy to read and understand. The story starts out pretty hectic, slows down and then picks right back up with heavy action-packed scenes. My emotions were all over the place. I say a job well done to the author! There was some strong language used, but it was brief only happened three times that I can recall, and very easy to ignore.

I gave The Miranda Contract 3.5/5 stars because it was way better than just being an "ok" type of book, yet it didn't quite hit a 4-star rating. I'm still confused about how Dan's grandfather's powers work. I'm also very curious to know other things such as: How did the Mad Russian become mad? How did Sully get his job? 

Overall, I was very satisfied and it was a book I did not regret reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your comments! I will always read them, promise! :D I want to hear what you think.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...